10 Things You Should Know About Yelp
January 24, 2013
Marcia Masulla, senior community manager with Yelp Nashville, conducted a lunchtime professional development session yesterday for MP&F Public Relations staff members. The discussion focused on some of the different ways Yelp helps businesses – from local clothing boutiques to national brands – engage passionate consumers.
Marcia shared the following list of 10 things you should know about Yelp, and we wanted to share it with you.
- Yelp was founded in 2004 to help people find great local businesses, like dentists, hair stylists and mechanics.
- Yelp had an average of approximately 84 million monthly unique visitors in third quarter of 2012.
- Yelpers have written more than 33 million local reviews.
- In addition to reviews, you can use Yelp to find events and lists and to talk with other Yelpers.
- Every business owner (or manager) can set up a free account to post photos and message her customers.
- Yelp makes money by selling ads to local businesses – you’ll see these clearly labeled “Yelp Ads” around the site.
- Paying advertisers can never change or re-order their reviews.
- Yelp has an automated filter that suppresses a small portion of reviews – it targets those suspicious ones you see on other sites.
- You can access Yelp via iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and more – see the full list of mobile apps here.
- The Weekly Yelp brings locals updates on the latest and greatest business openings and other happenings.